Jenny is a thoughtful trial attorney who represents clients in complex civil litigation matters in state and federal courts across the Commonwealth. Having clerked at both the trial and appellate court levels, Jenny has a unique understanding of local rules and a tact for tackling problems with judicial considerations in mind. Along with her team in the Litigation Practice Group, she also serves as local counsel for matters litigated in the Norfolk and Newport News divisions of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
Outside the courtroom, Jenny has leadership roles in legal organizations such as the Legal Aid Society of Southeastern Virginia, Norfolk & Portsmouth Bar Association, and the James Kent American Inn of Court. Jenny also gives back to the community through her service on the Board of the Chesapeake Humane Society and as a coach to Special Olympics athletes. In 2018, Jenny received the Norfolk & Portsmouth Bar Association’s prestigious Walter E. Hoffman Community Service Award. And in 2019, Jenny was honored by her alma mater as the Taylor Reveley Award recipient in recognition of her service, leadership, and qualities as a citizen lawyer.
- Obtaining a defense verdict for maritime employer in federal court trial brought by a former employee alleging negligence and having the defense verdict affirmed on appeal by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia.
- Prevailing on dispositive motion to dismiss premises liability case against facility owner.
- Briefing, arguing, and obtaining partial summary judgment for an employer limiting its liability for the tortious actions of its employee.
- Prevailing on dispositive motion to dismiss landlord from million-dollar lawsuit based on lack of duty owed to plaintiff.
- Serving as part of a local counsel legal team for patent clients in a multi-week federal court jury trial.
- Serving as part of local counsel legal team for an AMLAW 100 firm and a generic pharmaceutical company in patent litigation.
- Winning judgment for single parent against landlord for failure to provide an essential service in pro bono landlord-tenant trial.
with Allison M. Mentch, “Will the Expanded Jurisdiction of the Court of Appeals Finally Give Contributory Negligence Some Teeth?,” VBA Journal, Vol. L, No. 1 (Spring 2023)
with David W. Lannetti, “The Untapped Potential of Attorney Mentorship to Increase Job Satisfaction, Promote Civility, and Improve the Legal Profession,” Journal of Civil Litigation, Vol. XXXIV, No.4 (Winter 2022-2023)
11 tips to survive your freshman year as an associate
April 8, 2021
Extraordinary Times Call for Extraordinary Force Majeure Clauses
April 6, 2021
The Power of the Court Compels You: The Frequency and Result of Motions to Compel in the Norfolk and Newport News Divisions of the Eastern District of Virginia
October 12, 2020
How Sports Made Me a Better Pro Bono Attorney
May 1, 2020
Jennifer Eaton Leads a Successful Pro Bono Certificate Program
June 29, 2023
70 WRVB Attorneys Named to 2022 “Legal Elite”
November 29, 2022
Jennifer L. Eaton Returns as a Principal to the firm’s Litigation Practice Group
July 22, 2022
Five Attorneys Named 2021 Virginia Super Lawyers ‘Rising Stars’
May 6, 2021
Vandeventer Black Attorneys Secure Pro Bono Trial Victory Against Landlord for Failing to Fix Heat for 45 Days
April 29, 2021
Vandeventer Black Attorneys Selected as 2020 Legal Elite
November 30, 2020
Jennifer L. Eaton Named “Up & Coming Lawyer” by Virginia Lawyers Weekly
September 23, 2020
Vandeventer Black’s Eaton Joins The Board of the Legal Aid Society of Eastern Virginia
July 23, 2020
Vandeventer Black Attorneys Named 2020 Virginia Super Lawyers ‘Rising Stars’
May 7, 2020
Twenty-two Vandeventer Black Attorneys Selected as 2019 Legal Elite
November 25, 2019
Jennifer L. Eaton Joins the Chesapeake Humane Society’s Board of Directors
June 11, 2019
Jennifer L. Eaton Honored as 2019 Taylor Reveley Award Recipient
May 22, 2019
Vandeventer Black Attorneys Named 2019 Virginia Super Lawyers ‘Rising Stars’
April 26, 2019
Jennifer L. Eaton Awarded NPBA Walter E. Hoffman Community Service Award
June 5, 2018
Vandeventer Black Attorneys Named 2018 Virginia Super Lawyers ‘Rising Stars’
May 10, 2018
Eaton Recognized as Millennial On The Move by CoVaBiz Magazine
November 9, 2017
Vandeventer Black Recognized as a Pro Bono Law Firm of the Year
October 19, 2017
VANDEVENTER BLACK ATTORNEYS NAMED VIRGINIA SUPER LAWYERS “RISING STARS”
February 28, 2017