The secure, reliable movement of products and people is essential to a healthy economy. Our transportation team helps railroad, trucking, maritime and distribution companies, as well as public transportation entities, airports, trade associations, and domestic and international insurance companies clear the hurdles that stand between them and their core business objectives.
Our team includes highly experienced litigators and business, labor and employment, insurance, and workers’ compensation attorneys. Our multidisciplinary approach allows us to deliver results-driven solutions that meet your legal needs.
We regularly advise clients in the following areas:
- Litigation and appeals. We have represented many of the nation’s largest transportation companies in a wide range of high-profile and precedent-setting disputes argued in federal and state trial and appellate courts across the region. We also represent clients in mediation and arbitration heard before national and international tribunals.
- Cargo loss and damage. Whether addressing spoiled consumables, damaged power-generation equipment, contaminated pharmaceuticals or other forms of spoilage, we help clients mitigate losses, seek recoveries from responsible parties, or defend against claims.
- Federal Employers’ Liability Act compliance and dispute resolution. When railroad employees suffer injuries or death while on the job, we help clients defend against negligence and other claims filed under FELA.
- Contracts and agreements. We negotiate a wide range of contracts between our transportation-industry clients and their customers, suppliers, vendors, and business partners, as well as employment, compensation, and non-disclosure agreements with highly placed executives and essential staff.
- Corporate and employment matters. Transportation companies are highly sensitive to economic cycles and the demands of a highly mobile workforce. We can help your company establish the most appropriate corporate structure and determine the correct legal status of your employees and independent contractors. We also help clients develop effective employment policies, ensure compliance with federal and state regulations, and resolve disputes with individual employees and organized labor.
Our team includes the current chair of the Transportation Law Section Council of the Virginia Bar Association, a former chair of the Railroad Law Committee of the Defense Research Institute, and a former member of the board of the Maritime Law Association of the United States. We draw on this collective experience and knowledge to help our transportation clients at every turn.