Virginia Common Interest Communities Statutes
With the exception of property owners’ associations, common interest communities (CIC) in Virginia are created by statute. Virginia recognizes four categories of CICs: (1) condominium associations, (2) property owners’ associations, (3) cooperatives, and (4) time shares. Each category of community is governed by a specific Chapter in Title 55.1 of the Code of Virginia.
- Virginia Property Owners’ Association Act
- Virginia Condominium Act
- Virginia Real Estate Cooperative Act
- Virginia Real Estate Time-Share Act
- Resale Disclosure Act
The Virginia Code also contains laws that govern condominium associations, cooperatives, and property owners’ association managers. Those laws are located in the Common Interest Communities Act at Va. Code § 54.1-2345, et seq.
If an association is incorporated as a Virginia nonstock corporation, the association will also be governed by the Virginia Nonstock Corporation Act located in Va. Code § 13.1-801, et. seq.
Common Interest Community Regulations
The Virginia Administrative Code contains regulations, which are applicable to Common Interest Communities. The regulations are made by the Common Interest Community Board and are located in Title 18 of the VAC.
Fair Housing Laws, Regulations, and Other Reference Materials
- Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988 (federal)
- Virginia Fair Housing Law
- Fair Housing Regulations (Virginia)
- Regulations Relating to Housing and Urban Development, Quid Pro Quo and Hostile Environment (federal)
- Joint Statement of the Department of Housing and Urban Development and the Department of Justice, “Reasonable Accommodations under the Fair Housing Act” dated May 17, 2004
- Joint Statement of the Department of Housing and Urban Development and the Department of Justice, “Reasonable Modifications under the Fair Housing Act” dated March 5, 2008
- Notice FHEO-2020-01 from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity, “Assistance Animals Notice” dated January 28, 2020
Office of the Common Interest Community Ombudsman
- Information Regarding Office of the Common Interest Community Ombudsman
- Common Interest Community Ombudsman Determinations