For businesses and some individuals, every financial decision has tax consequences. Strategic planning is the best way to minimize your tax liability and avoid compliance violations and litigation.
Our tax attorneys help you achieve your financial goals by minimizing risks, maximizing after-tax profits, and providing tax advice on the day-to-day concerns that affect your businesses and bottom line. We also provide representation in tax controversies, including litigation.
Our tax attorneys have experience representing individuals, corporations, nonprofit organizations, and other business entities in civil and criminal tax litigation and administrative tax controversies. We handle tax audits and tax collection matters at the federal, state, and local government levels.
We regularly represent clients before administrative and judicial forums such as:
- Internal Revenue Service Appeals Division
- Local Virginia tax departments
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims Appeals
- U.S. Tax Court
- Virginia Tax Commissioner
- Virginia trial and appellate courts
Corporate Tax Services
Corporate Formation and Business Licenses
Our attorneys help businesses establish and operate pass-through entities, such as S corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies, joint ventures, and trust arrangements.
We also provide transactional planning of acquisitions, mergers, liquidations, choice of entity and structuring issues.
Employee Benefits and Compensation
The firm’s employee benefits and executive compensation practice can assist you with the structuring of non-qualified arrangements, such as phantom stock, “rabbi” trust arrangements and other incentive or bonus plans that supplement or replace traditional vehicles such as qualified plans and ESOPs.
Our attorneys handle a variety of qualified plan, exempt organization, and ERISA matters. We serve as co-counsel to the HRSA-ILA Pension and Welfare Funds, seven Taft-Hartley plans providing income, retirement, hospitalization, and other benefits to the longshore industry.
Our team can also assist with:
- Deferred compensation plans
- Qualified retirement plans such as defined benefit, profit sharing, 401(k), and ESOPs
- COBRA, HIPAA, and ACA coverage
- Section 457 plans for tax-exempt organizations
- Welfare plans such as cafeteria, dependent care, severance pay, and insured and self-insured health plans
Multinational Tax Planning
We also assist our clients with multinational tax planning, including branch taxation, controlled foreign corporations, offshore operations, U.S. taxation of foreign nationals and “presence” avoidance, local business license tax issues for multinationals and foreign entity contracting with the U.S. government.
Other Corporate Tax Services
Our full range of services covers:
- Ad valorem
- Business succession planning
- Complex federal and state tax returns
- Family limited partnerships
- Historic Tax Credits
- Like-kind exchanges
- Opportunity Zone investments
- Sales and use taxes
- Tax-deferred business acquisitions
- Tax-exempt financing
- Watercraft and aircraft taxes
Individual Tax Services
Trusts and Estates Planning
The Tax practice team also supports WRVB’s Trusts & Estates Planning practice in offering wealth transfer and tax minimization techniques to further our clients’ lifetime, estate planning and charitable goals.
Charitable Gift Planning
Our team of tax attorneys can turn your philanthropic dreams into reality with strategic advice on charitable gift planning. We will assist you with the structure and implementation of charitable lead and charitable remainder trusts, land trusts, private foundations, charitable gift annuities, conservation easements, and major charitable gifts.
- Community Associations
- Corporate & Business Transactions
- Employee Benefits & Compensation
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Municipalities & Public Infrastructure
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Public Finance
- Trusts & Estates
- ‘Tis the Season (For Charitable Giving)
- Worker Misclassification: Getting Right with the IRS
- IRS Announces Another Compliance (Audit) Pilot Program. Oh joy!
- Virginia Tax Department Focus on Worker Misclassification
- Governor Northam’s Proposed Changes to Marijuana Legislation Would Legalize Simple Possession by July 1, 2021