Regulatory compliance is a fact of business life. Some industries, however, face higher levels of federal and state regulatory oversight. To help you identify and avoid compliance risks, respond to agency inquiries and audits, or resolve disputes with administrative and law-enforcement officials, the regulatory attorneys and litigators of Woods Rogers Vandeventer Black (WRVB) offer sophisticated counsel and proactive defense.
We have experience in the following:
- Administrative and public utility regulation. We routinely represent clients before the Virginia State Corporation Commission, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), and other state and federal agencies that oversee and determine utility rates, provision of service to consumer, business, and municipal customers, infrastructure development and construction, mergers and acquisitions of regulated companies, and certification and adjustment of service territories.
- Cannabis law. We advise a broad range of cannabis industry participants on the business development and compliance process. We can help you seek business financing, obtain appropriate licenses, defend intellectual property rights, or address employee use of medical or recreational cannabis.
- Environmental and alternative energy compliance. Our environmental attorneys work with you to ensure compliance with a broad range of federal and state environmental laws and regulations. Together with our corporate attorneys, we conduct environmental due diligence with respect to mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures, and in connection with real estate sales and purchases. We also have significant experience in solar, wind, and other alternative energy sources, and have prosecuted and defended environmental actions at the administrative, trial, and appellate levels.
- Health law. We regularly counsel clients on healthcare laws and regulations, including state licensing matters, Medicare and Medicaid compliance, anti-kickback and anti-referral (Stark) laws, data and patient privacy requirements, and antitrust issues stemming from mergers, acquisitions, and joint ventures. We also guide clients through issues surrounding private-equity investments, patient and research-subject informed consent, certificates of need, hospital operations, and medical staff certification.
- Professional licensing. We help hospitals, health systems, nursing-home owners and operators, rehabilitation centers, behavioral health providers, and other healthcare entities ensure compliance with federal and state licensing, certification, and continuing education requirements. Our attorneys also advise professionals and contractors in a host of other industries, including alcoholic beverage distributors, motor vehicle manufacturers and dealerships, builders and construction companies, and federal and state government contractors.
- Administrative & Public Utilities
- Cannabis Law
- Environmental & Alternative Energy
- Health Law
- Long-Term Care
- Professional Licensing
- John Byrum and Jay Spruill Convince SCC to Strike Prohibitive Rule Against Consumer Finance Companies
- OSHA Pursues A Different COVID Strategy
- Court Extends Order Blocking Vaccine and Testing Requirement for Private Employers
- Court Temporarily Blocks Vaccine and Testing Rules for Private Employers
- OSHA Has Issued Its Emergency Temporary Standard for Businesses with 100 or More Employees