The Human Resources function demands human attention. Now more than ever, HR professionals need support from a legal team focused completely on workplace concerns.
The attorneys in the Woods Rogers Vandeventer Black Labor & Employment team help business leaders manage complex human resources matters. We partner with you to develop and execute HR policies and procedures that align with your business objectives and comply with the law.
We find solutions to your most pressing workplace issues.
The best way to avoid an employment lawsuit is through strong HR practices, well-written policies, and procedure management. Whether you are revising your employee handbook or handling an investigation into wrongdoing, our attorneys are available to provide advice and counsel for the workforce issues you encounter every day.
Our employment law attorneys also advise and defend employers on workplace claims including:
- EEOC and DOL investigations
- Harassment (including sexual harassment)
- Retaliation and wrongful discharge
- Wage and hour violations
- Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) regulations and other requirements governing federal contractors, such as the Davis Bacon Act and the Service Contract Act.
Human Resources Counseling and Training
Our attorneys can provide your executives, managers, and staff customized onsite or online workplace training in areas including:
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) compliance
- Annual legal updates
- Discipline, performance improvement plans, and discharge
- Discrimination, harassment, and retaliation
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion programs
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and wage and hour compliance
- Workplace investigations
- Workplace violence
“Love the unbiased approach to HR legal issues! The speakers were engaging and knowledgeable; I’ll definitely be back.” -2022 Seminar Attendee
“I love this bunch of presenters; they are knowledgeable, friendly, and funny. They make hard topics interesting.” -2022 Seminar Attendee
Guests at our annual Labor & Employment Seminars return year after year to learn about legal developments and cases that affect the workplace. We are also recognized by the Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM) to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®. We also meet the criteria for pre-approved recertification credit(s) for any of the eight credentials recognized by the HR Certification Institute® (HRCI®), including SPHR® and PHR®.
Employment Litigation Defense
Lawsuits and damage awards can debilitate most businesses. When litigation is a possibility, you need a practical and experienced legal team. We defend against all types of employment litigation, including wrongful discharge, discrimination, harassment and retaliation, wage and hour claims, employee benefit and leave issues, and whistle-blower claims.
While our attorneys will always work to avoid costly litigation, it may be unavoidable. When a lawsuit happens, our attorneys handle cases from the first threat of litigation through trial and appeal, from individual actions to the most complex class actions. In addition to defending against many discrimination and harassment claims, we have represented employers in complex lawsuits involving:
- Breach of contract
- Noncompete agreements
- Trade secrets
- Unfair competition
For many years, employers were able to ignore the threat of unionization. That is no longer true. With a strong National Labor Relations Board and many high-profile unionization efforts, no employer can be sure their workers will not organize.
Whether you are dealing with an existing union or facing new organization efforts, you need an experienced attorney to guide you through negotiations. WRVB attorneys have built strong reputations in Labor/Management Relations representation through leading tough but fair negotiations on behalf of employers. Our attorneys can advise you on the law and on the subtle nuances of labor-relations issues, including:
- Collective bargaining negotiations
- Grievances, arbitrations, and mediations
- NLRB proceedings
- Strike-related representation
- Unfair labor practice charges
- Union avoidance and decertification
Occupational Safety and Health (VOSH and OSHA)
Our counsel starts by making sure you understand federal regulations and how to provide a safe and healthy working environment for employees. Our team develops, reviews, and implements compliance plans for a variety of industries. We also provide auditing services, regulatory interpretation, and variance applications.
Our experience includes:
- Investigating workplace accidents
- Handling OSHA inspections
- Negotiating and resolving OSHA citations
- Utilizing best practices to improve safety and health performance
- Handling due diligence of OSHA issues in mergers and acquisitions
- Formulating safety and health programs
- Conducting safety and health audits
- Representing clients in whistle-blower and retaliation claims
- Counseling clients to help ensure compliance with OSHA standards
Why Choose Us
“This firm is very responsive and helpful, specifically employment law. Thankful to have had their knowledge through the years.” -Long-term client testimonial
Our team deals exclusively with management-side employment law. We understand your everyday concerns and know how to bring together executives, management, and staff to build better workplaces.
Clients and peers consistently rank this team among the best Labor & Employment attorneys in Virginia. Chambers USA ranks our Labor and Employment practice group as Band 2 in Virginia, with three individually ranked attorneys. U.S. News & World Report ranks this group as a Tier 1 Metro Area Law Firm in the following areas:
- Employment Law – Management
- Labor Law – Management
- Litigation – Labor & Employment
- Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- Credit Unions
- Emerging Growth & Venture Capital
- Employee Benefits & Compensation
- Workers’ Compensation
- Cannabis Law
- Construction & Government Contracts
- Long-Term Care
- Community Associations
- Higher Education