Patrick concentrates his practice in environmental, construction, and government contracts law.
Patrick’s environmental practice involves representation of business and industrial clients in a wide range of regulatory compliance, permitting, enforcement and litigation matters, covering many environmental regulatory programs and federal and state environmental laws. This has included:
- Representation of clients in administrative enforcement and penalty assessment actions initiated by US EPA, Corps of Engineers, and state environmental agencies in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, and California.
- Representation of clients in CERCLA (“Superfund”) cost recovery suits initiated by US EPA, state environmental agencies, and private plaintiffs.
- Representation of clients in litigation involving contaminated real estate.
- Negotiation of environmental agreements incident to real estate transactions for commercial and industrial properties.
- Negotiation of “Voluntary Remediation Program” agreements with Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, for remediation and reuse of contaminated industrial and commercial properties (“Brownfields”).
- Representation of responsible parties under the Federal Water Pollution Control Act, Oil Pollution Act, and Virginia Water Control Law for oil and hazardous substance spills and releases.
- Representation of clients in criminal investigations conducted by US EPA, Naval Criminal Investigative Service, the FBI, and state agencies.
- Assisted clients in application for and obtaining permits and contesting proposed permit conditions.
Patrick’s representation of construction and government contractor clients includes formation and registration of business entities including small and disadvantaged businesses; contract review, drafting and negotiation; preparation and presentation of claims; and representing clients in dispute resolution through administrative hearings, mediation, arbitration, and litigation. He has assisted construction industry contractors and engineers with formation of teaming arrangements and joint ventures for design-build and public-private ventures.
Patrick is a member of the Virginia and North Carolina bars and has represented clients across the country and throughout the southeastern U.S. He is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts in Virginia and North Carolina, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, and the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
Patrick was formerly a naval officer, serving as both a surface line officer and a Navy JAG. His Navy assignments were varied and included assignments as the Assistant Director of Naval Intelligence for Legal Affairs, and as the Regional Environmental Counsel for the U.S. Atlantic Fleet. He has held Top Secret and special access security clearances.
Virginia DEQ Amends Construction General Permit to Include Disposal Disclosure Requirements
December 22, 2020
Construction and Virginia’s New Wage Laws
May 22, 2020
Payments Due Subcontractors and Suppliers in Virginia
May 22, 2020
Best Lawyers in America Recognizes 70 WRVB Attorneys
August 17, 2023
26 WRVB Attorneys Named “Top Lawyers” for Norfolk, Coastal Virginia Magazine
January 24, 2023
70 WRVB Attorneys Named to 2022 “Legal Elite”
November 29, 2022
WRVB Attorneys Make Major Showing in Best Lawyers in America
August 16, 2022
Attorneys Selected for the 2022 Virginia Super Lawyers List
May 5, 2022
Vandeventer Black Attorneys Recognized as 2022 Top Lawyers of Coastal Virginia
January 1, 2022
Vandeventer Black attorneys named 2022 Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year”
August 19, 2021
28 Vandeventer Black LLP lawyers named to 2022 Best Lawyers® list
August 19, 2021
14 Attorneys Selected for the 2021 Virginia Super Lawyers List
May 6, 2021
Attorneys Recognized as 2021 Top Lawyers of Coastal Virginia
January 1, 2021
Vandeventer Black Attorneys Selected as 2020 Legal Elite
November 30, 2020
28 Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers® list
August 20, 2020
Vandeventer Black Attorneys Selected for the 2020 Virginia Super Lawyers List
May 7, 2020
Twenty-two Vandeventer Black Attorneys Selected as 2019 Legal Elite
November 25, 2019
Vandeventer Black Attorneys Recognized as 2020 Top Lawyers of Coastal Virginia
November 25, 2019
Vandeventer Black Attorneys Recognized as Top Lawyers of Coastal Virginia
December 13, 2018
Vandeventer Black Attorneys Recognized as 2018 Legal Elite
December 11, 2018
Vandeventer Black Attorneys Listed as ‘The Best Lawyers in America’ of 2019
August 24, 2018
Twenty-two Vandeventer Black Attorneys Recognized as Top Lawyers
December 14, 2017
27 Vandeventer Black Attorneys Named ‘The Best Lawyers in America’ of 2018
August 22, 2017
Twenty-two Vandeventer Black Attorneys 2016 Legal Elite Finalists
January 9, 2017